Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The City of Dreaming Spires

I have finally arrived at Oxford and am beginning to get settled in.  The flight over the pond was uneventful, in the best way possible, and connecting to Oxford from the London airport was smooth and simple.  If only the whole world could be as organized as the UK!

My first few days have been quite busy.  I've been completing various registrations and familiarizing myself with the way the university works (which I'm not sure I'll ever completely understand).  It's necessary to register either in person or online for every single service the university or college offers - college libraries, university libraries, internet access, printer room access, laundry access, punting access, dining hall access, the college bar debit card, gym access, etc. - so that has been amusingly redundant.  I also attempted to get a UK cell phone, but for reasons I don't fully understand I am unable to do so until I set up a bank account here, which I can't do until I can get access to the college computing and printing rooms, which I can't do until a notice arrives in my pidge (pigeon hole, i.e. mail box) informing me that my request for access has been granted.  Good ol' British bureaucracy.

For those of you who were confused by my references to both the college and the university, let me explain: the University of Oxford is, so I've been told, a "confederate" university.  Meaning it is made up of several semi-independent colleges or halls that serve the academic, social, and residential needs of all students and fellows.  So although I am a member of the University of Oxford, I am also, and almost more importantly, a member of Wolfson College. 

Ah, Wolfson.  I'll admit I was a bit trepidacious before arriving at Wolfson.  It is one of the newer colleges so it does not have the beautiful architecture and infamous "dreaming spires" Oxford is known for.  Upon arrival, however, I am pleased to inform you all that I could not be happier with my placement at Wolfson.  What it lacks in classical architecture it makes up for in beautiful grounds and a charming punting harbor on the Cherwell.  Here are some pictures of the college to further impress upon you how lucky I am to be here:

Wolfson College, Linton Road, Oxford.  How cute are these signs??
Entrance to the Wolfson Lodge.
Wolfson's punt harbor.  I went punting for the first time yesterday - complete with Pimm's and lemonade, naturally - and I must say it's harder than it looks!
Cherwell Boathouse.
The meadow at Wolfson, accross the bridge.  The past few days there have been cows grazing here, but they must have been elsewhere today.
Ducks sunbathing on the Cherwell.  I'll try to get pictures of the swans and geese that live here, too.
B-block, where I live.
The Wolfson gardens.
Bridge to the meadows.
View from my room!
More gardens.
More gardens.
Dragon clock?
There are two great willow trees on the grounds.  So lovely.
My room!
The living room.
Also the living room.
View from the living room #1.

View from the living room #2.

Me punting!  I was very focused.

Well, I hope you enjoyed those just as much as I enjoyed taking them.  I'll be venturing into town again tomorrow to buy my sub-fusc, so hopefully I'll have some dreaming spires for you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment