On my way home from the university last week I witnessed an accident between two buses. Immediately, about one hundred people ran to the accident site to help everyone get out of the vehicles, make sure no one was hurt, and call 991.
Egypt, like the rest of the Middle East, has a huge stray cat problem. Cats are to the Middle East as squirrels are to the UMD campus. In most countries though, they treat the cats absolutely horribly. Here, however, the people treat the cats with great love and care. Every day I see shopkeepers putting out little bowls of water for cats in the area or giving them extra scraps of food. A week ago I saw a group of about a dozen men rescuing a family of kittens from a building that was close to collapse. It's really very touching to see how much they care.
Even on just a daily basis, people will go out of their way to make sure you are happy and have everything you want. Every conversation begins with asking the other person how they are doing five times. If you go visit a friend, they won't let you leave without giving you a gift of some kind (often food or at least tea).
I'm not sure what it is about Egypt that makes them so caring, but whatever it is it's great. You definitely don't see that in most places in the world!
No comments:
Post a Comment